Thursday, October 9, 2008

Two exciting things






Yay! I've hit twenty students this month. Actually, I've hit it three separate times (once, 21!) but each time I gained one I lost another. Ah well. I'm still aiming for 30 total.

Let's see, the Homeschool Writing Class I'm teaching is going well. The class includes students from 5th-11th grade, so it's a fun challenge to not lose the ten year old's and keep the 16 year old's happy too. Our focus is writing about art- mainly developing a thesis based on the terms of the artwork in question and fleshing out arguments supporting our ideas. It's great fun and I'm learning so much myself!

As well as writing and learning key terms and definitions, each student is also memorizing by title and artist an art collection I put together exclusively for the class. It has 24 pieces of art, mainly paintings but also some sculpture, architecture and music. Here's some of the pieces we're studying- test yourself and see if you can correctly recognize by official title and artist...have fun!
(I don't yet know how to tell the pics where to go- if you know, will you tell me? Thanks!)

3 comments:

Phil said...

Melina! I have a feeling you are a very good teacher. send me an email on what you're teaching (which books or how you're going about writing). well done.

Unknown said...

I'm sad to say I would flunk your test. I bet you make it fun, though.
Congrats on the students. I know Ben is really enjoying it.

Noble W. said...

Hey Melina! I'm finally getting on top of the ball and have some questions about wedding music! :-P So, if you could email me that'd be great. My email is Noble(dot)Wright(at)Gmail(dot)com.
Thank you!