Monday, July 16, 2007

Just do it

Nike was right. I want to tell everyone about how cool automatic savings plans are! Before January of this year, I would work my paychecks like this:

1st - Tithe/giving
2nd - bills
3rd - savings

Then I kept reading about how automatic savings plans were helpful...I didn't really believe it, since I thought I was saving as much as possible already. Ahh, little did I know. Now my paychecks are divided up in this order:

1st - Tithe/giving
2nd - bills and savings

By treating my savings (paying myself) as a bill, and having it taken out automatically, I've been able to save about 32% more each month. And I don't feel I've denied myself anymore than normal. Don't ask me how it works, but somehow, my brain has been fooled and there is more money stashed away.

Just want to encourage all you lovables- if you haven't tried this, start today! (And lest you think you don't have enough, start small. I opened an online account several months ago yielding a 5.05% interest rate and automatically have $15 entered from each paycheck. It's really amazing how painless this is, and since I have it earmarked for a certain event in about three years time, I know I'll have the money available when I need it!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the first rule of business.....pay yourself first!! Yay for Melina!

Unknown said...

If you ever really want to freak out, ask me what the cost of a cup of STARBUCKS per day is...


Wendell Edwards

The Amber Canary said...

Thanks guys! And I don't even want to know, Wendell! Aaaack!