Thursday, July 26, 2007

Simplicity

I found a journal posting from May that I wanted to share on this blog. Random but definitely on my mind...and probably many others.

I just want to live simply. And yet, I have all these wants that make me buy things like good quality coffee and organic free range chicken and nonfat milk and whipping cream that I mix together to make whole milk since, oh yes, fat molecules should be larger than they are after the hydrogenation process. It’s crazy.

Today, I threw a little surprise birthday party for a neighbor kid who’s now 8. I walked him and some of the other kids home, and then talked with a parent for a bit. I mentioned that his kids were very well behaved but having a houseful of kids is overwhelming. He laughed and agreed (he’s the father of seven, he should know.) And I know too, I’m the oldest of seven kids, but somehow, I’ve forgotten. So the party and it’s volume was kind of a shock to my system.

I just hope that when I’m married and have kids, I will be able to live simply and quietly. Am I fooling myself? My life is truly simple now. I think I’m fairly good at not being materialistic, though that’s a constant struggle, but add more people to the mix and I don’t think it would be all that peaceful. Something to think about.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I read your blog. :-)

Wendell Edwards

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Amber Canary said...

Cool, thanks Wendell. If you start one I'd read yours. :)

Unknown said...

:-)

I blog on myspace once in a while.