Thursday, March 22, 2007

Self Education

I've been reading a challenging book, "The Well Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had" by Susan Wise Bauer. To be frank, I've always considered myself smart enough to get by and even more importantly, in possession of (because of great teachers) the tools needed to succeed. (I really and truly believe that character is the most important key to a meaningful, and thus, successful, life.) But in reading this book, (and this is a good thing), I'm discovering how ignorant I am!

This discovery is motivating me to learn on my own time; to continue my education on lunch breaks, evenings at home, weekends and to use the time otherwise usually frittered away on tv, small talk, lame books & magazines, shopping, online surfing...boy, the list really could go on!

I just finished reading "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift. More on that later, but for now, let me just say that I'm trying to wrap my head around what Swift's point was. I know it's there, and I have a hunch it's so good that I want to make sure I don't rush away from it to the next book without really, uhhhh, sucking the marrow out it's bones.

So, at the end of the day, here are two things I must remember:

1. I am an ignorant little puss
2. An education to be proud of (and that costs only time and energy) is within reach








2 comments:

tammie said...

History is full of lessons for us.
A great author to read is Steinbeck.
Before you travel in Europe, read "The Moon is Down". It is not long...but has much to say. There is a great speech the mayor recites at the end. I think you'll stand a little more determined on your beliefs.
Aunt Tammie

The Amber Canary said...

Aunt Tammie- I read it up at your house last time I visited actually. I remember being really impressed. Of course it was also late so I think I will try and read it again, to make sure it really sinks in.

Thanks for the insight.