Monday, April 2, 2007

Mankind's Predicament

My cousin Philip is in China through a study abroad program right now. Check out his last two blogs re: a desperate situation near where he lives, it's worth the read. www.philsjourneys.blogspot.com.

Reading it made me wonder: Is helping others to survive even when survival is questionable in quality worth it? How much do I value life? More specifically...people? What am I willing to give and do for another person? I'm not guaranteed that that person will become a responsible citizen or a good person or even thankful. Is doing good because it's the right thing enough for me? Who am I trying to please when I give money or time? My own ego? My feelings of guilt for being born in a land of plenty? God?

2 comments:

meganmariec said...

Don Quixote? Im so jealous. I can't wait to be out of school so I can read it. I think I may be embarresed if I don't read it before I go to Spain. That book is thier anthem...I would recommend Dante's Inferno(a good english translation), and a contemporary but good book for international relations called, "The spirit catches you and you fall down" by Anne Fadiman. Its intense, but well worth reading. Im gonna go read your cousins blog now, sounds fascinating... ~Megan

The Amber Canary said...

Megan, thanks for the ideas! You and Spain...ahhh, what a trip!